Date & Time
Join Caroline Welch, attorney, CEO of the Mindsight Institute, and author of The Gift of Presence: A Mindfulness Guide for Women (Penguin Random House 2020), together with Dr. Adriana Copeland, psychotherapist, UCLA certified mindfulness teacher, and certified forest bathing therapy guide, for a five-day journey of self-discovery and immersion in nature (May 14 – 20, 2022).
Located within the privacy of the fortified walls of Castle Marouatte, a family owned, medieval castle, in a small group setting (limited to 20 women), just two hours south of Paris by train, you will experience a safe haven for inspiration, stress reduction, and renewal. Discover the timeless healing wisdom of living in attunement with our natural world and be your most resilient self.
Our week together will feature:
• Forest bathing in the ancient grounds of Castle Marouatte, a family owned, medieval castle
• Daily lectures with Q & A and group discussion
• Indoor and outdoor meditation (weather permitting)
• Private time for reflection and journaling
• Local farm-to-table cuisine and wines
• Two afternoons of excursions:
– Pre-historic Villars Caves
– Medieval Brantome Village & Périgueux farmer’s market
What is forest bathing?
The term shinrin-yoku (“forest bathing”) emerged in Japan in the 1980s as a body and mind practice which connects us with nature as we slow down and take in the atmosphere of the forest with all of our senses. The purpose was to offer an ecofriendly antidote to burnout in Japan and to inspire people to reconnect with and protect the country’s forests. While Japan is credited with the term forest bathing, many cultures have long recognized the importance of the natural world to human health. In the 1990s, researchers began studying the physiological benefits of forest bathing and science now confirms, as you might have suspected, time spent immersed in nature is good for us.
What are the benefits of this retreat?
• Experience the importance of self-care and internalize why it isn’t selfish
• Learn the scientifically established health benefits of mindfulness and meditation
• Reflect upon your core values and fine tune your goals
• Gain insight into your life’s purpose
• Learn to quiet the mind and build inner resilience
• Experience the health benefits of forest bathing
• Create your own sustainable Mindful Awareness Practice Plan (MAPP)
• Return home feeling renewed, confident, and calm